Sunday, February 24, 2013

Quick update

I kind of messed up before because I actually had 10 lectures to listen to and I also have homework in 4 of those (anatomy homework). I won't finish tonight for sure, especially if I want to go to bed early, but in a little over 5 hours I did manage to listen to 5 lectures, so that's not so bad. Halfway mark! 

Anatomy is what kills me, really, because I'm so terrible at learning things and their names by heart. I'm great at dissections and at understanding how things relate to each other and work, which is why I understood endocrinology so well: because it makes sense. Learning a bunch of gibberish in Latin will be the death of me. But, at the same time, I love anatomy. Not learning it, but learning about it. I love it. I learned today that four-legged animals don't have collarbones (clavicles). Did you know that? So their forelimbs are only held to their trunk by muscle. Birds have clavicles, to keep their wings out to their sides. That's what the wishbone is: sternum and clavicles. And some babies can be born with a congenital defect where they simply don't have any clavicles and the docs have to implant titanium ones. If they don't do it early enough, the baby's muscles will grow in such a way that his/her arms will stay in the four-legged position. Crazy, huh? And I love learning about all the landmarks on the body. Is it crazy that, after we learned how to palpate ribs, I would count mine whenever I was having a panic attack? It's so reassuring; without an X-ray or anything, I am able to say that I have exactly 12 ribs, in a normal anatomical position, just as they should be. And I can feel them and count them, and they are always there. No matter what. 12 ribs. When I learned the bones of the pelvis, it was the same. There's the ASIS. There's the pubic tubercle. All where they are supposed to be. Phew. Now we're doing upperlimbs. The prof is amazing, she just keeps telling us "Feel them on yourselves or on a confrère." And there they are. The clavicle. The scapula. The acromion. The humerus. Pectoralis major that you can just almost slip your hand under. The bicipital aponeurosis that disappears into the skin just like she said it would. Exactly where she said they would be. Anatomy is so fantastic.

Thank you so much for your wonderful comments on my last post. I haven't replied yet, but just know that I  am very grateful for them (though I find it terribly difficult to accept compliments of any kind). I hope you've all had amazing weekends.

Going to get back to listening to lectures.
All my love,
Lena xx

No comments:

Post a Comment